Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Boom! Hold that thought


So, Imagine Me & You was on Logo the other night, and even though I had a thousand other things to do and had already seen it a thousand times, I watched it anyway. Why? Because I am physically unable to resist this film. If I don't watch it at least once every six weeks or so, I start to feel weird and unsettled. Food doesn't taste as good; my fabric softener seems to lose its effectiveness, that sort of thing. Exaggerations aside, the movie just makes me smile. Yes, it is an utterly predictable bit of trifle with an ending so corny it tests one's gag reflexes to the limit. But darn it all, it's a cute, fun, funny and well-acted bit of trifle, and the romantic leads are gorgeous and have fabulous chemistry. Plus, there's something to be said for high production values (something sadly lacking in many lesbian films, due to their indie nature). So I make no apologies for loving this movie. None!

I'll spare you the rundown of the movie and get straight to the appreciation of Rachel (Piper Perabo) and Luce (Lena Headey). From the instant they meet, they can't seem to stop flirting with each other, and it is very cute. As I said before, their chemistry was really solid. Oh, and there is a decent amount of kissing, which is pretty awesome. I don't know how others felt about this, but the fact that there was no sex scene didn't bother me a bit. I thought it was quite nice that they fell for each other without that.



Anyway, despite the aforementioned cheesiness and predictability, I do give the movie credit for throwing a couple of nice curveballs. For one, in your heart you're rooting for the guy a little bit. Usually in these scenarios, the guy is a total boor and we can't understand at all why any woman would be with him, but in the case of Hector, you get it. He's kind and charming, and completely deserving of someone who loves him. The other nice departure is that Rachel never really fights her attraction to Luce; she fights her desire to act on it. We're spared any hand-wringing over (gasp!) being attracted to a woman. We also don't have to tread a similar tired path as Rachel worries about what everyone will think, how she'll tell her family, etc. She's not concerned about any of that; all she cares about it not hurting Hector. Also, no one goes insane. Which reminds me: By playing the lovely and not-crazy Rachel, Piper Perabo redeemed herself in my eyes for that crapfest Lost and Delirious. And she and Lena Headey both get extra points for playing gay more than once in their careers. Bravo!

6 comments:

Jo said...

"my fabric softener seems to lose its effectiveness"....lol. That was funny! Nice blog. Re the movie, I couldn't agree with you more....in fact, I'm watching it again right now...and Rachel has just seen Luce for the very 1st time. Sigh. :)

Anonymous said...

"Because I am physically unable to resist this film. If I don't watch it at least once every six weeks or so, I start to feel weird and unsettled".

I couldn't agree more! This film is such a joy! And Luce is... such a wonderful girl! :-)

Unknown said...

i have to agree with you that this movie do bring a smile whenever i watch it...is just simple and so sweet..plus the chemistry was just A solid...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Boom! Love your blog, this one in particular. I know what you mean about needing to see this movie on a regular basis. Agree that a sex scene was not needed. It was a beautiful love story. Look forward to your next entry.

Anonymous said...

I can't find my DVD and it's killing me! I know I'm going to end up buying another one before I find it!