Monday, February 25, 2008

Oscar makes my month

For the better part of February, I have had what can only be described as the winter blues. I am so sick of the cold and the sleet and the snow, I don't want to go anywhere or do anything. I wasn't even as fired up for the Oscars as I usually am. But bless Oscar's little heart, he picked up my mood considerably last night. When the best actress award went to Marion Cotillard, who was beyond amazing as Edith Piaf in La Vie en Rose, my friend Heather and I yelled so loud, we scared the shit out of her roommate's poor little dog. (Sorry, Rigby.) I thought to myself, "The only thing that will make me even happier is if Once wins for best song." And then it did! I contained myself, so as not to give poor little Rigby a stroke. But oh my gosh, I was so happy. A day later, I'm still thrilled. Since last summer, I've been telling anyone who will listen that Once is a beautiful, beautiful little movie. It's pretty rare that a boy-meets-girl story touches my heart so deeply. Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, neither of whom has done any acting before, were so real and wonderful in their roles. The scene in the movie where they first play music together is goosebump-inducing.

So you'll forgive me for getting goosebumps all over again when, after getting cut off prematurely, Marketa Irglova was brought back out to accept her award. Her speech, about art and hope and perseverance, was heartfelt and moving -- just like the film.



No comments: